Translate

Monday, December 26, 2016

Simply Apple Sauce

There's so many ways to make apple sauce. It can be cooked for hours to make Apple Butter.
If you're making your own which is always best to serve with Potato Latkes I suggest buying your favorite apples and mixing them all together.

I recently used 3 gala, 1 braeburn, 1 granny smith, and 2 red delicious because that's what I had on hand. Occasionally I add butter and sugar if I want to make a compote to spread under an apple tart.

Moving along.... you can use any number of combinations Honey Crisps are great because they tend to be very sweet. If you have a food mill you don't have to peel of core your apples, just keep in mind the seeds add pectin and your sauce can have a gelatinous texture if you cook them too long.



So I peeled and cored my apples and cut them into random shapes.
Placed them all in a sauce pan with a couple of used vanilla beans (ones I squeezed the seeds out of previously - though fresh ones will yield a stronger vanilla flavor) and put about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom. (don't worry if you've added too much water as I did recently, it will eventually cook off)
Use a medium heat. It's unnecessary to cover the pot.
Just watch it and break up the pieces that hold their shape as it cooks. It should take about 20-30 minutes for all the apples to break down depending on the types you use, and for all the water to evaporate. Here's another recipe for Apple Sauce Courtesy of Serious Eats!

No comments: