Translate

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Traif

The word Traif or Trefy means food that is NOT in accordance with Jewish dietary kosher laws. Now, when I first heard what it means I thought this is just weird and maybe even rude, but that's not for me to judge. It's just a play on words.... they serve pork!

Turns out the chef/co-owner Jason Marcus has a blog & loves food  and I sort of quote here from his blog " Traif is a restaurant that celebrates the foods that I love most, which just so happens to be the foods that I am not supposed to eat. At Traif, we will feature pork and shellfish. Do you like bacon in everything,"

Well I do and my family background is Jewish and Italian and I was not raised with any food restrictions (thank goodness)!

Traif is located in South Williamsburg right near the JM & Z trains, a short walk away. The staff is friendly, helpful, accommodating and easy going. The space is fun and if you can get a seat at the bar you can watch them cook and plate all the food because that's the kitchen right there in front of you (well ok sort of off to the side).  Three guys working very well together in a close space pump out a lot of food. The place was hopping the crowd young and hip with a few others mixed in and it's a bit loud but not terrible.

The food is far from perfect but I would recommend it and I will go back.  What I enjoyed most was the interesting combination of ingredients and that there's bacon in a lot of the dishes including dessert!  Yes we had doughnuts with bacon and they were a great end to the meal. Not too sweet and fried to order.

TRAIF
229 South 4th Street
New York, NY 11211
(347) 844-9578
Open Daily from 6pm -2am

No comments: