Translate

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sourdough Starter ~ Cold Weather

I've added the tiniest pinch of dry yeast to my starter. It's been fed about a dozen times already. I've made 2 batches of pizza dough with it and I've got 2 new doughs in the fridge and I'm about to feed it.
I start with 1 part of the starter, throw the remainder away and wash the glass container.

Then I add the starter I've saved and add 2 parts of water to this.
I then add a little more than 2 parts of flour and mix it all up, cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit out until I see foamy yeasty bubbles in the mix. Now it's ready to use.

You can make your own starter but you can also get a small amount of an existing one, just like I did, and eventually make it your own. It becomes your based on the wild yeasts in your kitchen as well as your water source and the quality of the flour you feed it.

The 2 batches of pizza dough I've made will sit in my refrigerator for 4-5 days.  During the summer using the starter not fed a tiny bit of dry yeast, the dough is ready in 3 days. I suspect during the colder months it may need a 4th day and possibly a 5th day. Keep in mind that during the hottest days of summer I let the dough sit out for a minimum of 6 hours before cooking it and it was fantastic. But letting the dough sit out for a longer period in the colder months has not yielded similar results. Hence my experimentation with dry yeast and longer fermentation process.

Have Fun & Enjoy

No comments: